Under the terms of the 2013 Federal Open Data Policy, newly-generated government data is required to be made available in open, machine-readable formats, while continuing to ensure privacy and security. The Data.gov Catalog provides the means for federal and non-federal agencies to make their data discoverable and accessible by the public with tools for searching and browsing.
The Data.gov Catalog can be conveniently searched and the search-results accessed, without having to navigate away from GeoPlatform, using the GeoPlatform Data.gov Search application. This is a reusable application that can be accessed from any web page.
Features of the GeoPlatform Data.gov Search application include:
- Search the Data.gov Dataset Catalog for published datasets
- Search by dataset name, phrase, or keyword
- Filter by organization, organization type, tag, format, topics, status, and topic categories
- Filter by area-of-interest (selection on a map)
- Sort search results by name, dates, popularity, and relevance
- View details about datasets and their related resources
- Embed and customize the application within HTML pages