The FGDC hosted the 2017 International Organization for Standardization (ISO) Metadata Summit on May 24, 2017 at USGS Headquarters in Reston Virginia. The purpose of the Summit was to improve geospatial data and services discovery and use for federal and non-federal National Spatial Data Infrastructure (NSDI) stakeholders and users. Attendees participated in presentation and breakout sessions to share best practices and develop recommendations for the implementation of the ISO geospatial metadata content standard. The Summit was built upon the previous FGDC sponsored Metadata Workshops and focused on:
- Identifying and addressing ISO metadata implementation issues
- Developing ISO metadata implementation plans
- Leveraging the Geospatial Platform to implement the standard and access services
- Engaging participation in ISO metadata policies, tools, and, outreach
- Sustaining implementation efforts
The Summit was open to all, but numbers were limited. Attendees were expected to participate in breakout sessions and actively engage in post-workshop implementation efforts. Remote access was available for the presentations.